Things to do in Porthmadog
Porthmadog is a beautiful town in Gwynedd, North Wales, with a range of activities and attractions that will keep visitors entertained. Here are some of the things you can do in Porthmadog:
- Take a ride on the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways: These are two heritage railways that take you on a scenic journey through the Snowdonia National Park.
- Visit the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway: A museum with a large collection of Welsh narrow gauge railway artifacts.
- Take a stroll on the Cob: A sea wall which protects the town from flooding, you can take a walk along the Cob and enjoy the views across the estuary.
- Climb Moel y Gest: This small mountain offers stunning views of Porthmadog, the estuary, and the surrounding mountains.
- Visit Portmeirion: This nearby village is famous for its unique and colourful architecture, and was the location for the filming of the 1960s TV series The Prisoner.
- Go kayaking or paddleboarding: Porthmadog's sheltered harbour is a great place to try these water sports.
- Explore the local beaches: The town is surrounded by several stunning beaches, including Black Rock Sands and Borth y Gest.
- Visit the Maritime Museum: A small museum that tells the story of Porthmadog's maritime history.
- Take a trip to Criccieth Castle: A short drive away, this medieval castle offers stunning views across the coastline.
- Visit the Cambrian Coastline: A train journey along the Cambrian Coast offers stunning views of the Welsh coastline and mountains.